Monday, January 4, 2010

2010: A Personal Space Odyssey

This is awesome.

Today's Monday, and I'm at work. But there are no fluorescent lights giving me a headache. No polite, awkward conversations in the break room. No barrage of emails that must be tended to.

I am at home. At my computer. I have pushed off from the shore, and am on my way.

A couple of days ago I applied for unemployment. If that comes through, in addition to the money I have in the bank, I should be able to survive for a while before I'm faced with any harsh realities. Especially if I can start bringing in some additional dough from my writing, acting, stand-up... this could be quite the year for me.

I've been pretty productive so far at my first day on the job. The first thing I did was set up my gmail calendar, which I plan to start using religiously. Now that I have no office desk and workflow to keep organized, I can focus more on organizing my actual life. I set up a variety of weekly and monthly reminders, as well as a daily task list to keep me in line. I also created an Excel spreadsheet (SHOCKER) to keep further tabs on what I am accomplishing and on what timeline I am accomplishing it.

I got some personal business out of the way so I could devote the rest of my day to writing and submissions - paid a parking ticket, wrote some thank yous for Christmas gifts, sent an email about a job prospect (which I was declining, as I now work for myself), and hooked up and installed my printer. I also worked out this morning on the Wii Fit - granted, I didn't work out for very long, but at least it was something, and I can now begin to gradually work up to a fuller, longer, more consistent routine.

My work days will start and end a little later - probably in the range of 11-7 most days, although I'm not going to be a stickler about the exact times, as long as I fit in 8 hours. I'll start earlier on the days that I don't work out first, but my plan is to get to the gym around 9:30 at least 4 days a week. So here I am, with about 5 hours left in the work day, and I'm going to be spending it writing my book, emailing potential networking contacts, signing up on audition sites, and compiling a writing submission or two. God, I love it.

And I haven't been eating too badly, either.

Starting weight: 222.4 lbs
Day 73 weight: 214.8 lbs
Total loss: 7.6 lbs

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Todd! So proud of you! I wish I'd seen this sooner. We could have given each other some much-needed encouragement. I, too, started a blog on my health/weight-management/life-post-school-career. Either way, I'm very proud of you and excited to see where this leads you! Hugs from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete