Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Old Friends

Old friends
Old friends
Sat on their park bench like bookends
A newspaper blowin' through the grass
Falls on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends

Okay, so maybe my friends aren't quite that old. But I sure have known some of them for a long time.

Yesterday I created a facebook event called "Project Kreisman" and invited all of my facebook friends. The idea was to see if there's anyone out there I can use/step on/sleep with to get to where I want to be. No, no, no... in all seriousness (or as much as I can muster), I just wanted to start putting some feelers out there to see if I can get some leads on agents, networking opportunities, writing positions, etc. So far, I have to say, the response has been overwhelming.

I have heard from maybe 30 or so people, some just to say good luck or to express their admiration of my decision, others to offer helpful advice or connections. Perhaps half of those people I haven't seen or spoken to in 10 years. I think that's beautiful. Not just great, but beautiful. There are some things - some ideas, some dreams - that connect us and bring us back together, no matter how much time has passed. I was most myself in those days, and it seems that others who were most themselves back then were perhaps inspired by my message to recall it, and have been prompted to reminisce. I know that the past has definitely been on my mind as of late.

I did get a little writing done, but most of today was spent replying to emails. I already have a number of additional logs in the fire - book publishers, literary agents, fellow writers, fellow actors - I can hardly wait to start following up with each of these leads and see what comes of them.

I have poker tonight. Going to take it down. I need the money to keep this steam train puffing along...

Starting weight: 222.4 lbs
Day 74 weight: 214.9 lbs
Total loss: 7.5 lbs

4 comments:

  1. Now wait a second, I didn't get the message that you were willing to sleep with me for advice. I've got all kinds of advice you know, all kinds. I know things, and people, mostly Mexicans (seriously if you need a connection in Yucatan I can hook you up). But wait, I can't give away too much up front. Sleep with me and I'll tell you everything you need to know!!! - Dave Anderson (one of those old old old friends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but is it all right if we just cuddle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone should make it, I say it should be you. If only I controlled the universe -- how did I let that fall by the wayside? I swear it was on my to-do list in the 90's. But now I can sit here and live vicariously through your exciting writer-actor adventure since my goals these days are much more modest. I highly suggest marrying a geophysicist and convincing him you need to stay at home to raise your three children. It's a sweet setup and it has totally worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nooo!! Brynne, I don't think setting Todd up with babies is a good idea. They are too delicious and so wonderfully calorie free that he'd get distracted and never write or act or do anything but nibble.

    Also, Todd, I'm hoping you will revisit all of the things you did in the 2000s-- I think there is comedy gold in the Great Bike Trip to Central IL...

    ReplyDelete