Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm Not Famous Yet

Disappointing. A week on the job, and still no star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. What does a guy have to do?

This is going to be a long, slow, laborious process - I can see that now more than before. Not just in terms of success, but merely in terms of getting things done. I've spent hours looking through the contents of discs I've had lying around to make sure I have a comprehensive collection of all of my writing, hours researching various writing contest websites, hours researching open mic venues, hours perusing Writer's Market listings and Writer's Digest articles, in an attempt to find that one helpful bit of information, that one perfect market for my work. And all the while I'm trying to get in hours of actual writing each day, keep up a regular workout regimen and start reading again.

It's overwhelming, yes - but I'm trying to compare what I've accomplished this week with what I would have accomplished if I was still at my day job. In that light, it's pretty impressive.

I feel like a writer again. Sounds silly, but it's how I feel - today I read a listing for a short story contest and I sat down and wrote a short story. Can't remember the last time I've done something like that. And I'm making progress on my novel again for the first time in forever. I can't say I'm displeased with my first week of self-employment.

Just need to find a way to make the money start rolling in.

Starting weight: 222.4 lbs
Day 77 weight: 215.3 lbs
Total loss: 7.1 lbs

1 comment: