Friday, October 1, 2010

Landing an Agent vs. Landing a Plane

I got myself an agent!

I was referred to her by my good friend Jeff (we're even BETTER friends now!), and she emailed me shortly after I left her office to let me know she'd like to represent me! So... good bye, San Fernando Valley - hello, Hollywood!

By the way, for those of you who don't know, landing an agent out here is exceptionally difficult (unless you're one of those freaks who lucks into something right away, is related to someone, or performed explicit acts in exchange for accelerated career advancement). It really is more about networking and attending workshops and more than a little bit about luck than it is about sending out mailings, auditioning like crazy or performing other types of due diligence. However, you do MAKE your own luck, certainly, and I've been doing a good deal of that lately.

IS landing an agent more difficult than landing a plane? Well, here are some things to consider:
  • If you screw up while piloting a plane, there could be hundreds of fatalities, but if you screw up in an agent audition, there is the potential of only a single death
  • When landing a plane, everyone on board is rooting for you to do a good job, but all agents hate you, want you to do poorly, and more likely than not have a voodoo doll of you in their top drawer and are eagerly waiting for you to leave their office so they can use it
  • Planes aren't all up in your face about joining SAG
  • You can book both a 'part' and a 'flight.' That's neither here nor there, but isn't that interesting?
  • One scary scenario that can occur while trying to land a plane is that you suffer landing gear failure. A scary scenario that can occur while trying to land an agent is that you can forget to take one of their business cards.

Hm. Toss-up. I'll throw it out there on the CNN message board and see if I can get a consensus.

Anyway, down to a new low weight (thank you, thank you), and that's only 2 days after gorging myself on bread, pasta and gooey chocolate cakiness at the Olive Garden. I just buckled down immediately afterward, worked out extra long the 2 days following, and got back to a healthy eating routine (although I did polish off my leftovers, ya better believe).

Had an audition today - it was meh. Rocked the cold read, not so much on the improv. I just can't think on my feet. Not with cameras rolling and people watching coldly, expecting me to be spontaneously funny. I was thinking about that on my way home - I think I'm a funny guy, but I pretty much only pipe up when something humorous comes to me, or I'll only write a joke or sketch when something occurs to me. I'm not good at forcing it. I'm like a camel. Push me too far or ask me to walk longer than I feel like, and I'm going to spit at you.

I have another audition in a week - hopefully I can snag one of the two. I need me some moolah. (By the way, I have a PayPal account and am currently accepting donations)

Oh, and I may have to be without my laptop for 2 weeks. Yeah. Because computers are stupid. And because Best Buy is a butthole. That's right. I said it.

Starting weight: 222.4 lbs
Day 347 weight: 205.5 lbs
Total loss: 16.9 lbs

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the agent! Knew it was just a matter of time until you wore someone down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gotta get those feet inside those teeny tiny door cracks....then SHOVE THE DOOR OPEN AND FORCE YOUR WAY IN!!! This is only the beginning : )

    ReplyDelete