Thursday, February 18, 2010

Will the Real Todd Kreisman Please Stand-Up?

I did, I did!

Last night, for the first time ever (if you don't count my performance in Side Work, which I don't, for the purposes of this post), I performed my stand-up act. Live. In front of people. At an actual place. With walls and a door. That served coffee. Regular or decaf. Or lattes.

For an open mic, the level of talent was actually impressive. 95% of the people performing at an open mic are supposed to suck, and last night that number was actually a lot closer to 38%. Which made it tougher for me to look great or stand out, but also encouraged me to bring my A game.

It went very well. I didn't 'f' up any lines, I didn't have to refer to my cheat sheet, I didn't pee myself, and my fan club told me that I looked very polished and natural, and that no one would have ever guessed that it was my first time. So yay me! The plan now is to keep performing every so often at this place, so that I can get to know some of the other comics and keep fine-tuning my material and introducing new stuff, and also start trying out some other local places, to keep me on my toes. But I am no longer a stand-up virgin. It was starting to feel for a while there like one of those dreams I was never going to realize. If nothing else, at least I can check one more potential regret off the list.

I'm still sailing through my novel, and should have it completed (the first draft, anyway) by the time I go back to Chicago in about a month. Which means that I'll be able to sit down with my little brother (for whom I am writing it) and read the whole thing to him, start to finish. I'm excited about that.

Oh, and I'm going to the gym today, dammit.

Starting weight: 222.4 lbs
Day 118 weight: 210.8 lbs
Total loss: 11.6 lbs

1 comment: